One of my favorite pastries is called Empanada. Empanada is a stuffed pastry with different fillings. It can be found in many countries like Portugal, Spain, Latin America and some parts of Southeast Asia like Indonesia and Philippines.
Although making empanadas is not easy but it's mouth-watering goodness in every bite. Hope you enjoy my recipe below!
2 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
2 1/4 Tsp Active Dry Yeast
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Cup Warm Water
Butter or Margarine
200 g Grated Emmental Cheese
1 Cup Chopped Onions
1 Cup Chopped Mushrooms (Champignon)
1) Combine all dough ingredients in a big bowl and mix thoroughly.
2) Cover the bowl with cloth, let the dough rise for an hour.
3) After an hour, knead the dough flat for 10 minutes, divide into portions
(make a 2 inch ball), add flour if necessary.
4) Mix the filling ingredients- cheese, onions and mushrooms, set aside.
5) On a floured surface, roll ball into a thin circle then put 1 tbsp of filling
onto the center.
6) Fold into a fan shape and seal edges by pressing with your fingers.
7) Brush some melted butter on the empanadas.
8) Heat oil in a deep-fryer. Place one or two empanadas into the fryer at a time.
9) Cook for about 3-5 minutes, turning once to brown on both sides.
10) Drain on paper towels, and serve hot.